I have been working with lot of Not for profits to help them migrate their donor and fundraising management system to cloud. When I start the conversations, I am usually shocked to see how much work they do, especially with the limited team they have – and usually all manually.
Database is treated as data storage tool and most of the processing is done manually including data entry from websites – one field and one record at a time! Due to this they are usually loaded with more work than they can handle.
The following are the top 3 automation solutions I would recommend any NFP's to invest in right away, which will help to manage their data effectively, keep data clean and importantly be more productive to do what really matters.
Current Scenario: Websites are integrated with a payment gateway but donor and donation information is stored in the Website CMS database and extracted daily/weekly based on donation frequency and manually loaded in Salesforce
- Delay in realising revenue in CRM as it doesn’t happen in real time
- Manual effort can lead to errors like duplicates or wrong tagging of donations to campaigns
- Donor receives donation receipts from CMS but major donors are not appreciated right away with a personal message or call
- Salesforce web services can be implemented, this allows for data to flow directly into Salesforce without manual intervention
- After performing de-duplication checks, donor and donation records are created and associated with the correct campaigns
- Major donor managers are alerted for major donations, all this with no human interaction and consistency in data processing
Peer to Peer Donation
Current scenario: All NFPs redirect their fundraisers to register for the activity on leading crowdfunding platforms/websites like EveryDayHero, GoFundraise, JustGiving, Network for good, causes etc. Data is extracted from this platforms and manually imported into Salesforce. This is done in the midst of a fundraising campaign which is sometimes that takes extensive amount of time and can impact data quality and mapping.
- Fundraisers could register for personal fundraising, team fundraising, event fundraising or sponsored volunteerism, this needs to be tracked differently and fundraisers need to be soft credited for all donations that comes through. Managing this manually is time consuming, complex and rarely completed without errors. Needless to say it is time consuming activity.
- Many times fundraisers are not tagged and credited for all the donations in the systems
- If multiple platforms are used data capturing are different which can complicate data entry even more
- Data upload automation – browse and upload option can be provided for each platform which analyses the data and auto-creates donors, donations and fundraising campaigns
- Tags donations to campaigns, hard credit donors and soft- credits fundraiser to donations
- Hierarchal campaign structure is auto-created to track campaign success. Right team and right fundraisers are soft credited for their fundraising activities
Salesforce and accounting system
Current scenario: Salesforce NPSP is treated as donor and donation management system and accounting is done in MYOB, Xero or Sun. In many cases keeping both system in sync is a finance nightmare especially during audits.
- Accounting system import templates don’t match with Salesforce reports and hence a lot of manual excel processing is needed before it can be imported
- Salesforce tracks donation at individual level and accounting system summarises it at ledger code, account or account code level – if there is a mismatch, figuring out would be a nightmare
- If not properly marked, a payment can be extracted more than once.
- The batch data extract can be planned as per template expected by the accounting system
- Payments can be batched are marked with the batch number when the batch process is executed
- As payments are marked with batch number in case of an error while balancing then Salesforce payments can be reviewed and errors can be fixed.
- During audits, each payment against a batch number can be seen and checked
This is just starting point, but must have automation for all NFPs.