In today’s world everyone needs ease of data access, by reducing the number of clicks for the users, you can increase the user adoption of Salesforce.com by heaps.
Having most relevant data on a single screen enables the users to make decisions quickly, reduces the overall effort of the users to find different data from various different data points and it helps management draw analytics from single click of a button.
In this article I will list 5 different ways where data within Salesforce can be presented to users on a single screen.
- Formula Fields - Formula fields are a powerful feature not only to calculate basic numbers, but can also help in making important business decisions. Formula fields can be used to group certain Accounts into different territory buckets, complex business rules can be implemented using cross object formula, leads can be categorized (Hot, Warm, Cold). There can be numerous examples, but when implemented correctly, it reduces dependency on APEX coding and can get real time data for the end users
- Roll-up Summary fields - Roll-up summary fields calculate the values from records related to the parent object. To setup roll-up summary fields the objects should be related via master-detail lookup relationship. When setting up roll-up summary fields, you can get the count,sum,min and max of the related object records. You may further filter the records based on the criteria specified. This is a good approach to roll-up data on the master object so that the users don’t have to scroll through all related detail records for getting important numbers. Read more about Roll-up Summary field here.
- Report Charts - Users typically go thorough Reports tab to find the data, but by implementing the Embedded Report Charts, users may view these valuable charts directly on the page. This empowers them to make decisions based on the data they see in the context of the page without multiple clicks. Learn more about adding Report Chart to page layout.
- Dynamic Reports - Creating dynamic reports, e.g. by button or link, allow variables to be passed to the report based on record the user is on. This lets the user get information without needing to create different reports for each record. For this feature, you will need to "hack" (manipulate) the URL directly, and pass adequate parameters to the report. By following few steps you can create a dynamic report which can be executed per record.
- Inline VisualForce pages - Unlike the first 4 techniques which can be done by a System Admin well versed with Salesforce.com point and click configuration and business requirements; this particular approach requires the developer hat to be worn as this requires custom development. Inline VisualForce pages allows you to add VisualForce pages on to standard page layouts. The advantage of having the inline Visualforce page is you can display any data on the record by writing custom logic in the background. The Visualforce pages can also be created such that users may make changes to the data of unrelated objects by staying on one screen.This in turn improves the user experience and also increases user productivity.
At Arxxus, we believe that a system is only as good as it's user adoption, and that the efficiency of an application improves overall efficiency and end user's productivity.
We can help you improve your overall business process, and your user interaction with the Salesforce.com application. Please reach out to us for more details on our Advantage Managed Services program.